By Jeff Jacobson, CEO
The most admired companies understand their responsibilities are twofold – deliver a premium return on assets and make a positive impact on society. In 2017, Xerox embarked on a strategic transformation of our business, one that will ultimately position us for sustained success. As we began our transformation, we realized that at our core, our values are the same set of values that our founder Joe Wilson established for Xerox decades ago.
Xerox CEO: We have a tremendous opportunity — and responsibility — to positively impact our world.
The way we see it, we have a responsibility that goes beyond our primary, economic role to helping the people living in our communities to grow and thrive.
Here’s what Joe said in 1964:
- We succeed through satisfied customers.
- We value our employees.
- We deliver quality and excellence in all we do.
- We require premium return on assets.
- We use technology to develop market leadership.
- We behave responsibly as a corporate citizen.
Not only did Joe Wilson create an iconic and innovative company, one that is changing the way the world communicates, connects and works, he also established our ethos and a sense of responsibility that resonates within each of us today.
Explore Xerox’s 2017 Global Citizenship Report
This article was taken from our 2017 Global Citizenship Report. Our 12th annual report demonstrates the progress Xerox is making to provide technology and business process services responsibly, while helping clients and communities address the world’s greatest challenges. Explore our Global Citizenship Report.
Xerox Receives Citi 2017 Sustainability Partner Award
The award recognizes partners that help Citi with meaningful successes, best-in-class efforts, and high levels of performance and excellence that exemplify Citi’s values, mission and principles and enhance its diversity and ethical, social and environmental impacts. Click here for the details.*
I often challenge our people to think about how Xerox can be a positive force for good. I’m amazed every day to hear the stories of giving back, the stories of our customers’ successes thanks to the hard work of Xerox people. Xerox citizenship efforts are closely aligned with our business strategy, and are driven by a sense of responsibility to not only support the communities where our people and customers live and work, but create real change and deliver results.
There’s a phrase I learned when I first came to Xerox, “It’s in our DNA.” It’s just who we are. I’m learning that the path Joe Wilson paved all those years ago rings true today. There’s a culture here that drives Xerox people to be the best we can be. A few ways we do that:
- Every day at Xerox we strive to preserve and protect the environment and the wellbeing of employees, customers and communities by developing products and solutions to reduce energy use, cost and waste.
- Do the right thing and conduct business in an ethical manner. Our Business Ethics and Compliance Program educates our people and provides the tools they need to work within the highest ethical standards.
- Create a diverse and inclusive environment, where we value the differences in experience, thought and background because it is truly what makes Xerox a great place to work.
- Give back to the communities where our people and customers live and work. Many Xerox people volunteer their time and talent supporting the people and programs that drive positive change and results in each of our home towns. We have a specific focus on science, technology, engineering and math education hoping to inspire the next generation of engineers, scientists and inventors of the world.
We’re incredibly proud of our achievements. As you read this year’s Global Citizenship Report, I hope you’ll understand why. I’m honored to lead such a great company and group of people. Every day we build on our legacy of corporate social responsibility and innovation.
Or, as we like to say, it’s in our DNA. It’s just what we do. I like to say, it’s what makes us Xerox.
*Updated on November 16, 2017.